Sunday, September 15

No road to Sgainn

I met a wagonload of people today. I was tramping across the moor, looking down to avoid the silly rabbit holes that hide under the long grass and heather, and when I looked up, there was a wagon making its bumpy way along the hills.

I hurried over to it, eager to meet some fellow travellers. There was a mam and a da, and two daughters about my age and younger. The womenfolk were nice enough, but the father was unfriendly and told me to go back to me ma as if I were a little girl. I held my head up and turned on my heel to continue on my way.

I hope I shall see some new sights, or at least meet some friendlier people. All I have seen so far are the rolling purple hills of the moor, and the little rabbits and birds that scamper among the wispy heather. They make company enough, when my fire is low and my heart is lonely.
-Aisling